1 866 460.3251 | 450.460.3251
Offer yourself a modern stay in a historical site... One of a kind!
Settlement of the territory began around 1724 under the stewardship of Ramezay’s heirs. By 1797, the Seigneury counted 400 inhabitants.
The colonists petitioned the Bishop of Quebec for the services of a priest and were granted their request in October 1797. The decision was made to build a stone rectory and chapel similar to that in Saint-Hilaire.
With construction still underway, Father Pierre Robitaille consecrated the building on January 1, 1801, celebrating a mass in the name of Saint Mary and officially inaugurating the Saint Mary of Monnoir parish.
The civil registers were also opened on this occasion. In the year that followed, 64 christenings were recorded, along with 20 funerals and 10 marriages.
By 1809, the community had outgrown the small chapel, and the parish undertook the construction of its first church. The religious calling of the stone rectory lasted more than a century. In 1918, after the church was relocated and a new rectory was built, the original rectory passed into private ownership.
In honour of its historical heritage the old rectory was given the name Manoir Ramezay.